What is a Computer Virus?

In modern times, most people are aware to one degree or another of computer viruses. But exactly what are computer viruses? (Continued here).

Monday, January 29, 2007

Reviews of Antivirus Software

Reviews of Antivirus Programs

Some of the common Antivirus programs are as follows:

Kaspersky Antivirus and Internet Security

AVG Free Anti-Virus and Internet Security

Trend Micro

Panda Security


Norton Antivirus by Symantec

McAfee


Whereas Norton and McAffee are some of more well known antivirus programs, they are not necessarily the best. They tend to take up a lot of your computer power, and sometimes cause problems running other programs.

When I had Norton Internet Security (which includes Norton Antivirus) installed on my computer, I noticed that the program took up A LOT of memory; running several processes at all times on my computer, and slowing the shut-down process. At one point the "System Restore" function of my computer did not work and it was only remedied by removing Norton! I often got messages from my Norton Anti-Virus, which I could not understand or figure out. The program asked me to make choices which I didn't understand.

McAffee created problems on one computer I had, where it would not allow the wireless Internet connection to work, no matter what I did. When I tried to uninstall McAffee, it was almost impossible, and it took me weeks to figure out a round-about method of getting it off my computer. On another computer I had, I also could not get McAffee uninstalled, and it continued to send me pop-up messages for years (much to my annoyance)!